Pages


Sunday 13 February 2011

To Rise Above the Mundane

Today, I crossed into hitherto unexplored territory and made risotto, with copious use of The Most Foul and Evil Onion. I bore the smell bravely, by the expedient method of tying a perfume-drenched shawl across my face before starting to cook.

As I type, the beginning of this concoction is slowly - insanely slowly! - sauteing on the stove. I feel very virtuous about escaping to the kitchen and the laptop, having completed a few chapters of Ecology. I do not understand why it is necessary for Biology majors to all learn Ecology - our lives are so illuminated by gathering nasty little isopods, a skill that will make or break one's career. However, in hopes of an easy A (which looks ever more impossible the further into the term we get), I hear and I obey. I suppose it would be somewhat useful for people to gain an appreciation for the tremendous damage we are doing to the planet, but really, what's new? We all know that ecosystems today are suffering irreparable damage. Surely it would be more worthwhile to actually do something about this than to torture innocent undergraduates with having to touch Bugs?!

The lessons themselves are interesting enough, especially the facetious little suggestions that the professor offers as either causes of or solutions to the depletion of world ecosystems. My personal favourite was the idea that everyone stop having biological children, in order to reduce their carbon footprint. A close second involved the theory behind the destruction of marine ecosystems:  the Chinese craving for shark fin soup. In one fell blow, by removing a single shark's fins, suppliers are destroying several square kilometres of marine ecosystems. A most enlightening factoid. Particularly intriguing was the expression on the faces of several Far Eastern students when this was mentioned.

But I digress. The purpose of today's little ramble was to document my going beyond my usual uninspired fare of pierogies, bagels or pizza pops. To that end, I shall now go and check on the sauteing onions, garlic, ginger, peppers and scallions. I hope the damn things are finally browned.

. . .

Well, it wasn't a complete waste of effort. The veggies were reasonably browned (ie. I was too hungry to let them brown any further). On the other hand, the chicken broth I had left at high heat had nearly boiled over. Such is life. As I started to stir in the rice, I remembered just why this is an effort I rarely make - it's just too much bloody trouble! Although the end results are more than worth it . . .

In the meanwhile, as I wait for the rice to fry just enough to add the broth, I suppose a few cherry tomatoes nicked from my ingredient bowls couldn't really hurt. After all, not even I'm lazy enough to avoid rinsing off a few more.

Bon apetit to me.

I just hope the rice is done soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment